To avoid the fee in 2014 you need health insurance that qualifies as minimum essential coverage. If you’re covered by any of the following in 2014, you’re considered covered and don’t have to pay a penalty:
- Any Marketplace plan, or any individual insurance plan you already have
- Any employer plan (including COBRA), with or without “grandfathered” status. This includes retiree plans.
- The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- TRICARE (for current service members and military retirees, their families and survivors)
- Veterans health care programs (including the Veterans Health Care Program, VA Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA), and Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program)
- Peace Corps Volunteer plans
Other plans may also qualify. Ask your health coverage provider for more information and make sure you have adequate coverage to avoid costly penalties!