Winter is approaching, which means are now well on our way to cold and flu season. When cold weather hits, that means we are indoors more, and sharing germs. During cold weather, it is important to remember the basics on staying healthy and preventing the spread of germs. A few basic tips to keep from missing works and to help your co-workers stay healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently. If you can’t wash frequently, then keep antibacterial hand sanitizer with you. Keeping clean hands will help prevent you from catching a cold or virus and will also help prevent germs from spreading if you fall ill.
- Eat healthy. By increasing your fruit and vegetable intake you will help boost your immune system with the extra vitamin C.
- Stay active. Even small amounts of exercise throughout the day can have a positive impact. By exercising and getting up to move around it will help keep your blood flowing and strengthen your immune system.
- Drink water. Eight to ten glasses a day is the recommended amount of water intake, especially during the winter when the air is dry. Staying hydrated helps you battle illnesses.
- Don’t share. If you want to avoid falling ill, don’t share. Not your pen, lunch or drinks.
- Disinfect your area. Keeping your work area clean and wiping it down with antibacterial wipes can help prevent the spread of many illnesses.
- Avoid sick and sniffling co-workers. If you have co-workers coughing, sniffling and feeling under the weather, keep your distance if possible.
- If you fall ill, make sure you cough or sneeze into your elbow or upper arm to prevent the spread of germs to others.
These basic health steps can help you and your co-workers stay healthy and miss less work through the upcoming winter season!